Wednesday, October 23, 2013

On the threshold of tweendom

The night before last Allie woke me up at 2:41 am. Yes, that is the exact freaking time. I threatened her that when she is in her early twenties I am breaking into her apartment at 2:40 am to wake her up by scaring the crap out of her.

What is it with kids that they SNEAK into your room only to put their face right in front of yours and whisper scream: MOM

Also, how come they never go to Dad's side of the bed?

Back to my story....Allie had a good excuse this time. Somehow at the dead of night her tooth that has been hanging on for three months finally fell out.

At 2:41 am.

She asked me if she should put it under her pillow for the Tooth Fairy. I explained at 2:41 am that the Tooth Fairy's list was already scheduled for the night. (I think I get props for thinking that quick on my feet at 2:41 am).

Last night after she brushed her teeth. Including the one that fell out, and I quote: I want the Tooth Fairy to see that I take care of my teeth. I asked her why she didn't pay that much attention to the ones still in her head and got the eye roll.

The Eye Roll and The Tooth Fairy. She is on the cusp of tweendom but still has her imagination firmly in childhood.

I'll deal with the 2:41 am wake-up calls for as long as she is anchored in innocence.

 

7 comments:

  1. My 3 year old is like a ninja and climbs in bed around 3 am every once in awhile. Seriously, I sometimes will wake short after to find her staring in my face sound asleep, but like you not fighting it, because she is still so little and innocent. But god help me when the teens years hit. Hoping that time stands still just for a bit now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. At least she had a good excuse. And I'm so with you on visiting our kids when they're adults and waking them up! Ha! Also you get HUGE props for thinking so clearly at 2:41am. I love that Allie still believes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what, Kerri? My kids never asked if the tooth fairy is real. All the baby teeth are gone. My son even got a goodbye letter from her. And no one ever mentioned a word about her existence. I love that. Because she's real as long as no one tells you she isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, they think they can trick the tooth fairy by extra brushing. Jokes on them later ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Why is when they find their way to our room it's always "Mom!" And that was quick thinking for an answer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know what you think!