Thursday, August 30, 2012

One more day

We did it! We survived summer vacation. I know, I am a horrible mom. I am one of those moms that would vote for school to be year round with mini vacations throughout the year. Maybe if I was a stay-at-home mom I would think differently. But I bet they cannot wait for summer to end more than me! It is just so hard to keep the girls busy (with fun stuff) and then I feel guilty for not taking time off to spend with them. Unfortunately, my vacation/sick days are reserved for Boo's appointments and some long weekends here and there so I don't go insane.

Thank goodness Boo was eligible for a summer program. She has this week off and goes for half-days next week. Allie goes back next week and I am doing a mini dance at my desk. She, well not so much. Allie does not like school. Don't get me wrong. Allie loves the social aspect of school, gym and recess. Other than that she would rather not go, thank you very much.

Allie is a smart kid. A brilliant reader with an imagination that amazes me. Allie does not enjoy math/tests/having to do the assignment just as the teacher described. I remember one day last year her coming home so mad at the art teacher. She did not WANT to draw the apple, she wanted to draw a princess. Why should she have to draw something so boring as an apple?

I blame myself (of course). Allie spent preschool and kindergarten in a Montessori school. She excelled under that program. But man did she work it! There is a reason Allie doesn't do well in math. At Montessori she only worked on things she liked but never put the time in for the work. When the decision came for first grade we figured she needed a bigger pond and a lot more disciplined teaching style. Rather than going full out discipline (think Catholic nunnery) we opted for the public school.

Allie had a hard adjustment academically. Socially she is a butterfly (probably again why academics are difficult! She is too busy with her friends).  I hadn't realized how far behind she was in the math areas. Reading though, man she reads two grade levels ahead. When you can force her to do it, then she won't put the book down. (guilty here I let her slack this summer) 

My parents are going to be here for the first day of school. Boo's school starts at the same time. I will be leaving them to put Allie on the bus and then escape to work.

Where I will be doing my happy dance that the girls are back in school. I will also start the acceptance speech for mom of the year. 

4 comments:

  1. don't feel bad i too am glad school is back in session. don't get me wrong i love my daughter but i also like that she has a stricter schedule and is working hard in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo excels in the regimen of school. Allie, too. Once she gets over the math trauma

      Delete
  2. I love my kids too but they really need to be back in school - today is Saturday and my son has already said to me that he wishes he was in school! I can't meet their conflicting needs all on my own, so too much video watching gets done and I get exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it has been a long day when I beg Allie to turn on Good Luck Charlie for her and Boo.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know what you think!