Thursday, March 13, 2014

In a blink of an eye

Just yesterday I gave birth. Just a night ago I rocked a baby to sleep. At midnight I dealt with my baby's first fever. At breakfast I watched my baby take her first step. At lunch I heard her say her first sentence. At twilight I watched her ride a bike for the first time. At dinner we spoke about fractions. At bedtime she brushed her teeth without prompting.

That is how quickly a decade can go. In a blink of an eye I went from being worried about a pregnancy test to being worried about doing Every Day Math with my child.

My favorite decade was this one. The one when my little girl went from drooling, to teething, to eating to talking non-stop.

My favorite decade was this one. The one when my little girl learned to roll over, sit up, crawl, walk, run and swim.

My favorite decade was this one. The one when an imaginary little sister was replaced by the in real life one. 

My favorite decade was this one. The one that led me from reading bedtime stories to watching my child fall in love with the written word.

My favorite decade was this one. The one where princesses and fairies are slowly replaced by horses.

My favorite decade was this one. The one where Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Leprechauns, the Tooth Fairy and Tinkerbell existed.  

My favorite decade was this one. The one where Sesame Street was replaced by Word Girl that was eventually replaced by Shake it Up. (I kind of miss Sesame Street)


My favorite decade was this one. The one where the girl who would only wear dresses (that twirled) will now only wear leggings and T-shirts. 

My favorite decade was the one that went faster than my 8th grade history class. The decade that showed me what was important in life. The decade where I received not one but two beautiful children. The decade that hasn't happened yet. The decades still to come where I will watch them grow and flourish and become the best that they can be.
Photo Credit: Family Tree Photography

My favorite decade was this one, what was yours?


Finish the Sentence Friday

14 comments:

  1. Mine was this one too. It also brought me two beautiful little girls. They are still young, and I can't wait to see them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this thought....and that hopefully the next one will be wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post, Kerri! I agree this is my favorite decade for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree that the best decade is the one I'm in right now! I wish I could freeze time so I can enjoy these days forever. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the time! how fast it goes by! (as if it were not bad enough, how fast it goes by), the passage of time speeds up!
    I would submit that being able to express these times will enhance the memory and (re-telling) of tales of childhood when everyone grows old(er).
    great post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that was beautifully written and constructed. I didn't cry this time fortunately, but man, I came close. Loved that. And ARGH to math homework! ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your take on this. It's crazy how fast things go. Just this morning I gave birth & this afternoon I'm prepping for my son's 2nd birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post, Kerri. Just think, you have many more decades to share with your beautiful girls...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Regardless of our wishes, time travels on. We grow and so do those around us. Favorite decade? I look at my wife and can only say, "The next one, as long as it's with you." Well done, Kerri. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lovely! And just a different way of doing the link up! Love it! And totally agree. Every time I think about how much I miss my kids when they were babies, I think about how much I'd love and miss who they are today. It's good to be happy right where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. loved your take cause the present has the action and what a precious pix of your family.

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! You are so right, and I agree, I would not have given up this last decade for anything. Today Isaiah said "To be, or not to be. That is the question!" and I almost cried. He's such a big boy now! The time goes by so much faster than I ever thought possible!
    Beautiful memories….

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know what you think!