Friday, November 8, 2013

Truth

Since life is beyond crazy I am taking 5 minutes out of my day to write. Just write with a one word prompt: Truth

Ready, set, go....

We teach our children to tell the truth and then we promptly lie to them. We tell them to believe in  the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Great Pumpkin.

We tell our children that everyone is accepting. We tell them that they are not supposed make fun of people. And then we chuckle as we watch a person with CP stumble.

We tell our children to be grateful for what they have and then strive to keep up with the neighbors.

We tell our children to hurry up already and mature. And then we cry when they no longer believe.

We tell our children to dream big and forget to tell them that it takes more than just wishes to make dreams come true.

We let our children believe that their parents are perfect and then they watch us fail at keeping the truth.

The truth is difficult and hard to do. As a parent I find I stumble, a lot, with truth. I want my girls to believe for as long as possible in their dreams. I want to be that perfect parent, the one that doesn't fail.

And I am so sorry that it takes having a child of your own to learn how to forgive your parents for their mistakes in trying to teach you truth.

End.

Five Minute Friday

2 comments:

  1. It is a fine balance between the truth and scary reality. Sometimes it might just be fun to still believe in Santa Claus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this because you nailed it. This, my dear friend, is the truth! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know what you think!